Screening for Lipid Disorders
- Total cholesterol
- LDL (bad) cholesterol
- HDL (good) cholesterol
- Have family history of heart disease or stroke in family members < 55 years old in males or < 65 years old in females
- Have parents with total cholesterol ≥ 240 mg/dL (6.2 mmol/L) or lipid disorder
- Have diabetes, hypertension, overweight or obesity
- Smoke cigarettes
- Have moderate- or high-risk medical condition
Hypercholesterolemia. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated September 9, 2012. Accessed September 12, 2012.
NHLBI integrated guidelines for pediatric cardiovascular risk reduction. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated February 28, 2012. Accessed September 14, 2012.
Prevention and treatment of high cholesterol. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Prevention-and-Treatment-of-High-Cholesterol%5FUCM%5F001215%5FArticle.jsp . Published August 2012. Accessed September 12, 2012.
What is cholesterol? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hbc/ . Accessed September 12, 2012.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 10/2012 -
- Update Date: 10/11/2012 -