This easy-to-make main dish helps to increase the amount of vegetables you eat and can be made all in one pot.
Serving Size ¾ cup
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 51 mg
Sodium 81 mg
Ingredients and Preparation
Vegetable oil 1 teaspoon
Flour ¼ cup
Low-sodium chicken broth 3 cups
Chicken breast, skinless and boneless, cut into 1 inch strips 1 ½ lbs
White potatoes, cubed 1 cup (½ lb)
Onions, chopped 1 cup
Carrots , coarsely chopped 1 cup (½ lb)
Celery, chopped ¼ cup
Medium carrot, grated ½
Garlic, finely minced 4 cloves
Scallion, chopped 2 stalks
Bay leaf 1 whole
Thyme ½ teaspoon
Black pepper, ground ½ teaspoon
Hot (or jalapeño) pepper, chopped 2 teaspoons
Okra, sliced into 1 ½ inch pieces 1 cup (½ pound)
- Add oil to a large pot.
- Heat pot over medium flame.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until flour begins to turn golden brown.
- Slowly stir in all the broth using a wire whisk and cook for 2 minutes. The mixture should not be lumpy.
- Add all ingredients except okra. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add okra and let cook for 15 to 20 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve hot in a bowl or over rice.