Bananas and low-fat buttermilk give this old favorite its moistness and help lower the fat.
Serving Size ½ in slice
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 12 mg
Sodium 138 mg
Ingredients and Preparation
Mashed ripe bananas 1 cup
Low-fat buttermilk 1/3 cup
Packed brown sugar ½ cup
Margarine 1/4 cup
All-purpose flour, sifted 2 cups
Baking powder 1 teaspoon
Baking soda ½ teaspoon
Salt ½ teaspoon
Chopped pecans ½ cup
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
- Stir together mashed bananas and buttermilk; set aside.
- Cream brown sugar and margarine together until light. Beat in egg. Add banana mixture; beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add all at once to liquid ingredients. Stir until well blended.
- Stir in nuts and turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan and complete cooling on a wire rack before slicing.